Florida Teen Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba


Sept. 11, 2020 — The parents of a 13-year-old boy in Florida who died from brain-eating amoeba want to warn others about the risk of the waterborne infection.

Tanner Lake Wall, 13, became ill after a family vacation last month at a North Florida campground that has a lake and water park. He was hospitalized and put on a ventilator, but taken off life support on Aug. 2 after he showed no brain activity, CBS News reported.

The teen’s parents hope their tragedy alerts other families to the dangers of this amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri.

“So parents are aware, maybe they weren’t thinking about it because I can sure tell you we weren’t,” the teen’s father, Travis Wall said, CBS News reported. “We grew up swimming in ponds and creeks and stuff like that.”

Typically found in warm fresh water, such as lakes, rivers and springs, Naegleria fowleri can get into the brain when contaminated water enters the nose, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.



WebMD News from HealthDay



Copyright © 2013-2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.



Latest articles

Dune Books in Order | Entertainment

Dune is scheduled for release this December with a star-studded cast that includes Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, Jason Momoa, and Dave Bautista,...

Cheap, innovative snake venom treatments could save lives

When Nigerian physician Garba Iliyasu was 10, a venomous snake bit a family member. The man survived, but “it was quite severe,” Iliyasu...

We Are Begging You to Stop Injecting Yourselves With Homebrewed COVID Vaccines

In a new paper in the journal Science, a team of scientists has a blunt request: please stop injecting yourselves with homebrewed COVID...

Prize crossword No 28,243

Continue reading...

Related articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here